Four main Lunac 2+ version are available:
- Lunac 2+: wear, anti galling and cost optimized.
Usually 55-70µm (2.2-2.8 mil). In special cases
up to 250 µm (9.8 mil).
- Lunac 2(hc)+ duplex: ultimate corrosion
capability, even after small accidents. Protects
parts from corrosion without any oil film
120 µm (4.7 mil). NBD 10300 qualified
- Lunac 2hc+: best chemical resistance.
Additional layer. See: Corrosion.
- Lunac 2rc: best wear resistance.
See: wear resistance
New York wheel bearings and storm lock systems are coated with Lunac 2+ for reasons of reliable bond, wear and corrosion protection. With permission of Starneth
Ampelmann heavy duty cylinders Lunac 2+ duplex coated to withstand the highly corrosive off shore conditions. The good thermal conductivity of the semi-ceramic Lunac 2+ coating reduces the seal temperatures which is important in the case of a high velocity (wave compensation) system.
- This hard crack free coating is highly resistant to adhesive and abrasive wear (adhesive wear test results: 23 N at 0.7 m/s; the combination Lunac 2+/Lunac 2+ is 19 times more wear resistant than the combination of hardened (HRc 64-66) DIN 1.2379 on hardened DIN 1.2379.
- Virtually immune to galling / fretting / cold welding or seizing problems in non-lubricated conditions.
Therefore this coating is ideal for heavily loaded and non-lubricated parts in relative motion.
- Lunac 2+ duplex has proved to be one of the most reliable corrosion protection systems in (sea)water.
- Often, wear of the non-coated opposing part is also significantly reduced, especially in sea water.
- The coefficient of friction is +/- 30% lower than that of hardened steel DIN 1.2379 on steel 1.2379.
- Steel cylinders and rods coated with Lunac 2+ are practically equal to HVOF
ceramic plated cylinders with respect to wear, but are much cheaper, much
less vulnerable and help prevent high seal wear.
- Able to deal with (shear) loads over 400 MPa with specified bearings.
- Although moisture can slightly tarnish the Lunac 2+ surface,
Lunac 2+ coatings continue to be highly efficient.
- Lunac 2+ resists oxidative wear (tribo wear) very well.
- Complies fully with the RoHS standard.
- Relatively ductile (elongation 0.28%).
Thick complex Lunac 2+ coatings (80 µm / 3 mil) applied to screen changer piston and bores (above) or lock door bearings (right), coated with the highest corrosion resistant Lunac 2+ duplex version or bridge disk spring guidance (below), offer one of the most successful tough ceramic-like, corrosion resistant alloy combination and are able to handle high mechanical loads and shearing without cracking or blistering.
Lunac 2+ duplex coated carbon steel parts in marine environment can profit from :
- (galvanic and sub-surface) corrosion prevention due to the very dense, corrosion resistant structure with minor potential differences and resistance to corrosion after impact (see pictures at the end of that page!)
- limitation or eradication of stainless steel (connections).
- 4-fold improvement of heat conductivity and capability to select low friction and low adhesive wear sliding pairs. See the report of TNO dutch research institute.
- ultimate scratch and abrasive (sand) wear resistance
|- mostly highly profitable|
|Julianasluis Lunac 2+ duplex coated main bearing|
Lunac 2+ wear, fretting and galling preventing coating, applied to the rotor disk frontal face (above) or vanes and housing of a stainless steel vane pump. The goal is hard metal replacement and chemical resistance. Lunac 2+
applied to a single moving element can already highly prevent the total system from galling. The service time of this concept vane pump dramatically increased.
Picture and revision of vane pump:
Hydraulic pistons coated with 120 µm (5 mil) Lunac 2+ duplex. These Lunac 2+ duplex coatings are particularly resistant to (sub surface) corrosion, scratches and high abrasive wear load. Moreover, this semi ceramic coating is highly impact resistant and can take up high loads (tested: 400 MPa at low speed without blistering) and is described as seal friendly. The new WMV 3900 mm plating line is able to handle parts up to 3000 kg (6667 Lbs).
Corrosion resistance after damage
Lunac 2+ duplex coated parts can very well deal with impacts and damage.
Lunac 2+ duplex will prevent the carbon steel parts from sub-surface corrosion in a unique way.
Test: 4 mild steel test rods with hard corrosion protection
coatings after 1250 hours neutral salt spray testing:
1- Double layer chromium mostly offers moderately up to good corrosion protection after 1000 hours NSS testing, but
cannot preserve corrosion resistance after a 2/10 mm plastic deformation has taken place. Chloride resistance is poor.
2- Nickel-chromium coatings frequently show some small rust spots after 1000 hours NSS testing, but do not
develop additional rust spots after a 2/10 mm plastic deformation has taken place. Chloride resistance is poor.
3- Lunac 2+ duplex can fully resist 2500 hours NSS testing and can deal with 2/10 mm plastic deformation.
Chloride resistance is good.
4- Most HVOF ceramic duplex coatings (picture right) can fully resist 1000 hours NSS testing, but cannot deal with
almost any plastic deformation (progressive blistering). Chloride resistance is mostly acceptable up to good.
Details of the Lunac 2+ system:
High mechanical load applications
Lunac 2+ proved to be one of the most reliable and profitable coating systems to obtain long lasting wear, scratch and corrosion resistance. Lunac 2+ coated hydraulic cylinders and bearings in heavy lifting equipment are categorised as proven technology to withstand high shear loads and harsh outdoor conditions for a very long period (according to feed back, since 1995, no Lunac 2+ plated hydraulic cylinders is ever decommisioned due to spontaneous corrosion).
Basic elements :
- little seal and guide-band wear due to smooth surface
- no rust formation (and no sub surface corrosion)
- ultimate scratch resistance and no oil leakage
- accidents do not initiate a peeling process,
but are limited to localized deformations
- able to deal with more than 400 MPa load
Enerpac and Mammoet cranes equipped
with Lunac 2+ coated hydraulic cylinders
The main bearing axles in the doors of the Kornwerderzand lock of the major northern Dutch IJsselmeer dam have been Lunac 2+ coated because of the corrosion resistance, exceptional abrasive (sand) wear resistance and shock resistance (waves) of the coating. Moreover the Lunac 2+ coefficient of friction in water contact conditions can be exceptionally low.